A Warning/Watch Is Issued
When a Watch/Warning is Issued
Check your emergency supplies. Store drinking water in clean bathtubs, jugs, bottles and available cooking pots.
Secure your home by:
- Bringing in outdoor objects such as lawn furniture, toys and garden tools,
- Anchoring objects that cannot be brought inside but that could be wind-tossed,
- Installing hurricane shutters or precut plywood,
- Trimming dead branches from trees, and
- Turning the refrigerator and freezer to the coldest settings if not instructed by officials to turn off utilities.
Fuel your car. Review evacuation routes and gather your disaster supply kit.
Review your family disaster plan.
If You Are Told To Evacuate:
- Leave as soon as possible.
- Avoid flooded roads and watch for washed-out bridges.
- Secure your home. Unplug appliances and turn off electricity and the main water valve. If time permits, elevate furniture to protect it from flooding or move it to a higher floor.
- Take your "go-bag" (pre-assembled emergency supplies) and warm, protective clothing.