Local Physical Activity and Nutrition
Mission: To improve the health of our community by encouraging Rockingham County citizens to improve nutrition and become more physically active.
The Local Physical Activity and Nutrition Workgroup (LPAN) are currently addressing the following priority areas:
The goals of the LPAN Workgroup are to:
- Help increase the amount of residents in the Piedmont Region who meet the physical activity recommendation set by the state, by 5% (46.3% to 51.3%) by 2017.
- Help increase the percentage of residents in the Piedmont Region who consume the recommended five or more fruits and vegetables by 5% (21.2% to 26.2%) by 2017.
- Reduce the number of residents who smoke in Rockingham County by 5% (32.3% to 27.3%) by 2017.
- Increase the number of policies implemented to reduce exposure to secondhand smoke by 2017.
In order to reduce the overweight and obesity rate in the county the LPAN workgroup have outline health initiatives to address this priority:
- Conduct FreshStart Smoking Cessation Classes to the Community
- Collaborate to establish a Smoke-free/Tobacco Free Ordinance for Rockingham County Government
- Work with local African American churches to implement the evidence-based program, African American Eat Smart Move More
- Work with churches in the county to implement the evidence-based program Faithful Families Eat Smart Move More
- Conduct Chronic Disease and Diabetes Self-Management Program for county residents
- Conduct Eat Smart Move More Weigh Less Classes for worksites in Rockingham County
- Support the farmer's markets within Rockingham County
- Support community screening events
- Support the Rockingham County Diabetes Task Force