Social Determinants of health as defined by the World Health Organization are the conditions in which people are born, grow, live, work, and age. These circumstances are shaped by the distribution of money, power, and resources at global, national, and local levels. During the 2012 Community Health Assessment, Rockingham County identified education, a social determinant, to be a top health concern among residents. As a result, the Education Workgroup was created to focus on the priority.
Mission: To provide resources and interventions that decrease barriers to education for all children in Rockingham County.
The goals of the workgroup include:
- Increase the four year cohort (percent of students in a ninth grade cohort that graduate with a regular diploma in four years or less) graduation rate by 5% (76% to 81%) by 2017.
- Decrease the dropout rate by a rate of 1.0 by 2017.
The Education Workgroup will focus on the following initiative to help move toward their goals.
- Support the WiseGuys Program
- Support College Advisors and their work within the high schools
- Support the Gear Up efforts in Rockingham County Schools
- Support the efforts of the STRIVE Initiative
- Develop tutoring and mentoring programs within the county.